Compression socks are beneficial for a wide range of reasons, not all of which are medically induced. Some people wear them for performance enhancement purposes, but more often than not, a doctor will recommend compression socks for:
- Preventing deep vein thrombosis in the legs
- Reducing pain related to varicose veins
- Decreasing swelling in the legs and ankles
- Improving lymphatic drainage
- Preventing blood from pooling in the leg veins
- Boosting circulation in the legs
- Preventing venous ulcers
- Reversing venous hypertension
- Managing orthostatic hypotension, or low blood pressure when you stand up after a period of sitting down
Compression socks can also be useful to:
- While most athletes wear some form of compression garment during practice or competition, there are those who do so for a more practical purpose to help them perform at their best, increase blood flow and oxygen delivery while they’re working out, and improve post-workout recovery times by promoting faster swelling reduction.
- For people who are confined to wheelchairs, compression socks can be a life-changing tool. They improve blood flow and reduce swelling in the legs so you feel better almost immediately.
- Compression socks can be a great way for pregnant women to prevent swelling. The best results come from wearing them in the mornings when you first start feeling uncomfortable, versus putting on these tight-fitting garments after an instance of water retention has already occurred.
- If you’re a frequent airplane passenger or crew member, it’s smart to wear compression socks on long flights because they can increase circulation and reduce your risk of developing deep vein thrombosis.
- For people on their feet all day at work, like nurses and warehouse workers, compression socks can help reduce the pain and swelling in the legs by increasing blood flow.
Compression socks are important for everyone – but especially for people who are on their feet for many hours each day, like nurses.
Jennifer Mayo, RN, shares why compression socks are an integral part of her work wardrobe.